Monday, June 21, 2010

Mascots

Troy and I are in Washington, DC and one of the items on our to-do list was to go to the White Sox vs. Nationals game. (By the way, doesn't the W on the uniforms look like they are supporting Walgreen's? Just a random side note.) It was a lot of fun and a really nice park, but the best part, hands down, was the chosen mascots.

The mascots were George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln and Teddy Roosevelt. These mascots were huge. The head of the person controlling them only came to their neck, so they had to support this giant head with their own. You would think they would be really unstable, but our friend, Kasey was telling us that these people go through rigorous try outs in order to be a mascot. Their training was apparent because Tom did not have a problem cutting up a rug before the game. Abe became a poor sport while he was on the dance floor and Troy challenged him to a dance off. When it was obvious that Honest Abe had no game, he stormed off the dance floor and down the stairs to the lower level. What a poor sport.

Our goal before the game was to get a picture with each of the presidents. I will be honest, I felt a little self-conscious about it at first. I guess there is something unattractive about a 20-something plowing kids over to get a picture with a deceased president who has a giant head made of a polyester blend, but after my first picture with Teddy, it didn't phase me. We made our goal and so I have of course added those pictures.Better than the pictures, though is the part of the game when the presidents race each other. Kasey, recorded the whole thing and let me put it up on the blog.

The best part is that Teddy totally cheats the other presidents, racing out before them, but karma catches up to him and he proceeds to trip and perform a face plant allowing the George, Tom and Abe a chance. Oh my gosh, this is hilarious.



I looked online and Forbes had an expose of top ten mascots, and unfortunately, the Presidents did not make a list, though their friends, the Milwaukee Racing Sausages did. I still think they are my favorite mascots. How about you? What is your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment