Sunday, June 27, 2010

Did I tell you about . . . . ?

I have a problem that most people under the age of 75 don't have. When I am telling stories, I can never remember that I have already shared that idea. I came to this realization after I got married. I would literally tell Troy a story and honestly think it was new information to him. He would sit there, very patiently, and when I was all done he would say, "Yep, you've already told me that." To which I would usually smack my forehead in disgust.

After doing further research, we realized that the retelling of stories was brought on by "triggers." For example whenever I hear a song by Madonna, this is a trigger. I am immediately brought back to 1989 where I am hula-hooping in my neighbor's garage and thus feel the need to talk about this moment. Or there is the AmericInn trigger, which will force me to tell you about how my family and I stayed there one time and when I went to un-bungee my duffel bag from the roof of my mom's Dodge Durango, I realized that I had left a zipper open . . . . the one that I put my underwear in . . . . which were now flying all over I94.

The problem doesn't just end there. I also seem to have a hard time recalling who was at which events. I will tell stories to Troy or my sister, Laura about something I did last week or a month ago. After I'm done, they look at me with worry and annoyance and proceed to tell me that they already knew about it . . . . because they were there. Oh man, those ones are the worst. That is when I worry that I might have Alzheimer's. This led me to do a little research. I looked up symptoms and there were a list of questions that were associated with the disease. They say if you detect these signs in someone, you should seek medical attention. So, let's go through them together, shall we?

1. Does the person ask repetitive questions or retell stories within minutes of the first mention?
Well, it isn't quite that bad, but the examples I listed above don't really help my case either.

2. Does she forget the names of recent acquaintances or younger family members, such as grandchildren?
I wish I could say that I was so cool in high school that I didn't need to bother learning people's names, but that is pretty far from the truth, however; I can hardly remember the names of those people now. It could just be a suppressed memory. I was a bit of a lame-o at Carl Sandburg High, but one time in college, I was getting drinks with a friend of mine, when this chick from high school came up to my table, apparently really excited, and said, "Pam! Oh my gosh, how are you?" and then listed things that we apparently did at school. It wasn't until I asked my friend I was with who this gal was that I remembered her. That can't be good. As far as younger family members go, I am okay with that. I mean I have a younger sister, who's name escapes me at the moment, but just give me a minute . . . .

3. Is this forgetfulness unusual for this person?
Let's see here . . . . now what were we talking about?

Alright, I shouldn't joke about a serious disease, but what the heck is wrong with me. Maybe it is genetics. My mom retells her stories all the time and so does my grandma. Maybe I need a little more excitement in my life so I can share new experiences. Maybe I should keep a journal on me at all times, cataloged with my stories and then jot down whom I've shared them with and the date. That is probably the most efficient strategy.

Oh, that reminds me, did I ever tell you that I have a problem that most people under 75 don't have? Yeah, I retell my stories. The funny thing is, I seriously think that you haven't heard them before. My husband and I think they are set off by triggers. Like if I hear a song by Madonna . . . . . . .



.

1 comment:

  1. I am LAUGHING OUT LOUD! I do that all the time. Mine is usually a story about the movie over the hedge...which I always tell Chad about..and he was at the movie with me. Oh my. I also have other triggers. Yeah...

    ReplyDelete