Saturday, July 17, 2010

Well, if you insist . . .

Troy wanted a McDonald's Mocha Frappe this afternoon. We had just worked out and done a Target run, so I was really more interested in having some lunch since I was starving by this point. **Side Note: I usually become very crabby when I get hungry. My family likes to tease about this . . . only when they are a healthy distance from me.** I told Troy I didn't want one but we could still go and get him one. In a very depressing voice he declined the offer and veered the car back to the Carlson Homestead.

Why is it that we have such a hard time enjoying treats when we have to do it sans our partner in crime? I am the same way. Just last week, I wanted a Blizzard in the worst way and Troy didn't feel like one, but he was more than happy to run over to Dairy Queen and get one for me. "No thanks . . . . (heavy sigh) . . . " Maybe it has to do with the calories canceling each other out. If we both get a treat then the calories don't count, or at the very least we will both be fat cows together.

I would argue that this thought process even stems into other meals, like appetizers. Isn't it the best when the friend you're dining with suggests that you get an appetizer? Heck yes, I'll share one with you! We have friends who are like that when we go out to eat with them, and for that reason (along with enjoying their company, blah, blah, blah) we love to go out with them. You sit down in the restaurant and before you have even perused the menu, we'll hear, "You guys want margaritas? How about some chips and guac? Fried ice cream after dinner?" It is fantabulous (fantastic + fabulous = fantabulous).

This would probably be the part of my blog when I feel that power of self confidence festering in my belly and offer some kind of a message about fighting that inner conflict to enjoy desserts/mozzarella sticks/mojitos alone, but who am I kidding? I know that I won't be able to. And to be honest, there are few people out there who can fight it. Don't you love it when you are a witness to that? I love it when the idea of getting a fun treat comes up and then the offer has a negative response. You can almost see the wheels turning in the offer-ee's head and then she stands up straight and says those magical words, "I'm going to get one anyway." Don't you feel like patting her on the back and saying, "Good for you!! You fought it . . . . can I maybe have a little taste?"

All this talk makes me want something sweet. I'm going to annoy Troy until he gets a Blizzard with me and if he says no then I guess I'll go find something in the kitchen. I might still have some Swedish Fish in the pantry . . .

1 comment: