Monday, June 14, 2010

California Cheater?

If you were to ask me if I am a fan of sushi, I would enthusiastically say, "YES!" However, there would be some fine print attached to that statement. Remember those old Micro Machines commercials where the spokesman would come out and talk super fast about how awesome the Micro Machines were? I would need him. The thing is that I haven't tried much sushi but I am borderline addicted to the California Rolls, which makes me wonder if I am a big, fat, sushi cheater?

Here's what I know about sushi: the word sushi is actually referring to the rice but has come to be more commonly known as the Japanese finger food made of raw fish or shell fish. Now, California Rolls have delicious-yet imitation-crab rolled in them, but it is not raw nor is it even Japanese! It was created in California to appease the American pallet.

So, this is why there is a part of me that is totally embarrassed to admit that I like sushi because there is a part of me that feels like I am living a big, fat lie! Here's where you get to respond. Am I a California Cheater or would you consider this delectable creation sushi?





(Imagine from The Rickshaw Corner Restaurant in San Diego, CA. http://rickshawcorner.com/menu)

No comments:

Post a Comment