Wednesday, April 9, 2014

The Look

Troy's sister, Tricia came to the Queen City to visit us during her spring break. Considering she was
Trying to unpack Aunt Tricia's things. Z didn't want her to go.
coming from Minneapolis, we teased her that she was flying south for spring break, unfortunately, we don't have any palm trees in Cincinnati.  She flew into the Cincinnati / Northern Kentucky Airport but was flying out the Dayton International Airport because she found a good deal. I had never been to the Dayton Airport so the night before Tricia's departure, I punched the address into my GPS so that I wouldn't have to fumble with my phone and a baby at the same time when we needed to get out the door. Google Maps has a feature which also allows users to write comments and I read many comments about how the Dayton Airport is a convenient and small airport with lots of shops and vendors after you pass through security. I suddenly had mixed feelings because on the one hand, I love looking at the little shops and on the other hand, I always feel like a criminal with an ankle bracelet when I walk into one.

I remember when I was a kid and would go into stores without a parent or wander away from my grown up to look at the merchandise on my own, I always felt the eyes of the store clerk on me. I am sure that it was just because I was a kid and they wanted to make sure I wouldn't steal or break or wipe a booger on something, but I always felt their eyes burrowing into my neck. I remember as a young adult still feeling that way and thinking, "I can be here! I am a grown up!" However, as I have gotten older, these stares have faded (sadly along with getting carded when I order a glass of wine) but there is one place where 'The Look' is still going strong, regardless of age/gender/race/creed. Airport shops.

Tricia and I were talking about this on the way to the airport and how these airport shops with their beady-eyed cashiers are such a stark contrast to places like Barnes and Noble. Troy and I have made Barnes and Noble date nights. We would go to the book store, stalk the people sitting in the comfy chairs, snag said chairs, get a coffee and read stacks of magazines. Then when we read everything we wanted or the store is closing, we would leave. Barnes and Noble expects you to do this, that is why they have the chairs and the coffee bars because some people will go ahead and make purchases, as I have done in the past. Airport shops are not like this though.

The airport shops have snacks, traveling crap that you think will come in handy on your next trip but you'll never use again, books, magazines and sometimes clothes because when you go on a business trip and you forget to get something for your wife, picking up a Cincinnati Red's T-shirt at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Airport is convenient......hypothetically speaking, of course. I personally love to look at the books and especially the magazines. I am a sucker for the trashy celebrity magazines, with US Weekly being my favorite. However, every time I go into one of those shops, the cashier looks at me like I have been finger painting and am about to sit on her white couch. I always feel like a 5 year old, who wandered away from my mommy and shouldn't be touching anything, let alone my vice, US Weekly.

Am I alone here? Does anyone else feel like the cashiers at the airport shops are waiting to tackle you if you touch their merchandise without waving your credit card that them first? I don't fly too often these days, but I think for my next flight I will make a sign that says;

"My flight is delayed. I am not planning on purchasing any of your overpriced crap. I do however plan on reading it and then walking out of here. If you are nice, maybe I will buy a bag of Combos....but only if I work up an appetite from reading your current issue of US Weekly.  
Be warned: if you come at me, I know Kung Fu. 
Have a nice day."


I hope I can fit that sign in the overhead compartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment