Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hibernation

Troy and I miss some parts of our Minnesota lives. We miss our friends, Calvary Church, a delicious Juicy Lucy from the 5-8 Club (yeah that's right all you Matt's fans, we have sworn our allegiance to the 5-8!); but there is one thing that makes living in Cincinnati so fabulous, and it is the weather. We have been enjoying above freezing temperatures for weeks now. Our grass is green, our trees are budding and I have beautiful white flowers on my magnolia tree. Our season of hibernation has ended with the renewal of spring!

Many people have a ritual of "spring cleaning" once Old Man Winter leaves. I have never done that because I can't stand to have needless clutter in my house, so "spring cleaning" happens almost every week. However, I do have a ritual which is performed each spring. My ritual is shaving my legs. You read that right. Shaving throughout the winter seems pointless. Ladies, can I get an "Amen!"? Once I get out of the shower, I get cold and the goosebumps run rapid all over my legs, pushing the hair back up and out on the surface of my skin. Sometimes my goosebumps get goosebumps! So, during the winter months, (I am going to get personal with you here) I will shave about once a week - that is about how long it takes for the hair to rub against my jeans and gross me out. Once the weather starts to get nice, I want to pull out my shorts or don a dress, and the fur that once kept me warm through the winter, is somewhat unappealing and unnecessary. 

Another thing that is unappealing are the extra pounds that seemed to have taken up residence on my body without even signing a lease first. I tell Troy that it is harder to lose weight in the winter because your body is trying to stay warm by holding on to extra fat. I know that is a bunch of malarkey, but doesn't it sound nice? And it would explain why all those movie starts are so skinny, living in sunny L.A. Once the weather warms up and I am no longer able to hide under my bulky sweaters, I realize that I need to shed the pounds as well as my furry stems and if we are being honest, I am hoping that my hairy legs are the culprits for the scale showing are larger number.

Of course the final part of coming out of hibernation would entail my wardrobe. Spring is a tricky season. You wake up in the morning to temperatures in the upper 40's or lower 50's, but then by the afternoon it is in the 70's so essentially you need to plan two outfits for the day and they need to be layered. This leads every woman to look at all her clothes hanging in her closet and bemoan that she has nothing to wear, much to the confusion of their male counterpart.

This spring has not only brought me the tri-fecta of issues coming out of hibernation but I feel like they are exponentially more challenging. This is my first spring with my sweet baby boy, who will be turning one at the end of May. Shaving my legs while trying to figure out how to take care of a baby seemed even less worth the effort during the winter months. Despite my daily cardio routine, baby fat has not only signed a lease, but also gave me first and last month's deposit. (I am told these pounds will melt off after I wean Z from nursing - that had better be true.) And due to this post-prego body, my wardrobe isn't really thrilling me these days.

However, even as I type this, I am looking out my window and seeing a gorgeous sunny day, our pear tree full of leaves and flowers and my cloth diapers swinging in the breeze as they dry in the spring sunshine. With my laptop resting on my furry legs, a muffin top spilling over my frumpy clothes, these woes don't seem so bad when I look out the window. Halleluiah! We are out of hibernation! Welcome Spring!
Loving the Spring Sunshine!





No comments:

Post a Comment