Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Gum Smackers and Whistle Blowers

There are obvious behaviors that are not appropriate in public: loud burping, socks with sandals, foul language (especially around the ladies) but there are some things that we find ourselves doing often and may not realize the unpleasant effect they may have on others.

Someone at work was whistling today. My first thought was, "That's super annoying." To be honest, I may have even rolled my eyes. (Side Note: I have a bad habit of rolling my eyes. Sometimes I don't even know I am doing it. That's no bueno.) Fast forward to this afternoon. I was sweeping the floors in preparation for a good mopping session and I found myself whistling. I immediately thought of the whistling woman from earlier in the afternoon and then I had a small epiphany - also known as Pam Sense. I realized that whistling is one of the many things we do which are perfectly acceptable while we are in the act and completely aggravating if done by someone else.

Similar actions would also include (but are not limited to) humming and singing sans music. Now, I am a hummer, by nature. I often have songs stuck in my head and I have found that when I am in a bad mood, sometimes singing or humming helps me out of the rut. I do try to do so quietly enough so nobody can hear me because I know how irritating it can be. In general, I can tolerate most of the quiet humming/singing, but why is it some people feel the need to sing out loud at a normal decimal when they are out in public? My theory is that they are hoping that American Idol and Candid Camera are planning on merging into one television show that they will be "found" in the middle of Barnes and Noble while perusing the classics. But that's just a theory.

Gum smacking is another act to follow this rule. When someone is chomping on a slab of gum and they are smacking their jaw up and down, resembling that of a cow chewing her curd, it is repulsive. However, there is something satisfying about smacking on a piece of Bubble Yum Bubble Gum (especially if it is grape flavored!) when it is done yourself. Sometimes when I am by myself, I will purposely smack my gum in the most annoyingly delightful way. The whole time I think about how Troy would hate it if he were there. (He hates gum smacking like I hate socks with sandals.) Blowing bubbles would be another. When you see someone who continually blows bubbles with gum, there is a small part of you that wants to see it get stuck on their face . . . or is that just me? However, once you blow a bubble yourself, you wonder if you can make your next one bigger and then you just can't stop.

Well kids, the moral of the story is that we all do stuff that makes people want to tear their hair out. Just try to do it in the comfort and concealed area that is your home. Unless you are smacking your gum . . . then share a piece with me and we can be cows together.

No comments:

Post a Comment