Thursday, March 10, 2011

Little Victories

Last night Troy and I went to the health club for a little swimming and . . . well, let's be honest . . . a hot shower. Lifetime always has someone manning the front desk and part of this person's job description is to welcome guests and also to bid a friendly farewell as they exit. For a while now, I have been playing a little game with these front desk people - unbeknown to them. The game is simple; I have to say "Goodbye" before they can say it to me. There are those few workers who are sneaky and get that "Have a good night" in there before I can even open my mouth. But many times I am victorious and in those cases, I turn to Troy and whisper, "I won!" and that, my friends, is one of life's little victories.

There are tons of them out there. Different victories are celebrated by different people. For example, Troy might tell you that one of his little victories is when the cats wait a whole hour to poop in the liter box after he has cleaned it. (I don't even know if that has even happened before.) This may not be one of yours. Especially if you do not have a cat. Important disclaimer: I am not talking about obvious victories, like being upgraded from coach to first class. I mean, that's a no brainier. Of course I want to sit in those giant, leather chairs and someone is getting me champagne while I fly the friendly skies, instead of sitting like sardines next to the woman with the screaming baby. I am talking about those little day-to-day things that happen that make you feel like a bona fide Charlie-Sheen-Winner. I bet if you dig deep, you can think of your own little victories, but if you are getting a little stuck, feel free to use one of mine listed below:

1. Beating the Lifetime workers at saying goodbye.
2. Fitting all the luggage in the trunk perfectly like a real-life Tetras game.
3. When pets/kids pick you to snuggle with.
4. Pulling into the gas station right when the low fuel light comes on.
5. Waking up on time even though you forgot to set your alarm.
6. Manipulating all the dirty dishes to fit in one dishwasher load.
7. Keeping plants alive.
8. When Olivia makes her "I'm going to barf"-meow and catching her in time to yak on the tile instead of the carpet.
9. When something is about to fall and you catch it midair with your mad reflex skills.
10. Thinking you spelled something wrong and when you go to check, you find out you're right.


I am sure that I could think of more, but ten is a nice round number so let's end there shall we? I hope you think of your own little victories and perchance even post them here to share! Go on, I double-dog-dare you.

2 comments:

  1. I always think I'm a ninja when #9 happens. Guaranteed nobody else would have caught that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that. We should probably re-name #9.

    ReplyDelete