Friday, March 18, 2011

Showering at Home

For those of you who don't know, we have been renovating our bathroom. Four months ago, we found a crack in the floor of our tub. After having a friend look at it and tell us that we needed to get that fixed like, yesterday, we thought we would have some time to figure out how we were going to fix the problem . . . until the very next day when we saw water damage in the ceiling of our kitchen. We immediately stopped showering at home and thus began the daily ritual of showering at our health club.

As we demolished our bathroom to the studs, we would gaze at the unfinished room and dream about the day we could shower at home again. Then we would grab our gym bags and drive to our showers. The funny thing is that as more time passed, the more showering at Lifetime became normal. We installed our new tub and tile, bead board and paint, and we would still dream about our finished bathroom, but we were not feeling the inconvenience as we had in the beginning. We had developed a new routine. We had new places of storing our personal care items and brushing our teeth and washing our faces in the kitchen sink was becoming more endearing than inconvenient.

Then the glorious day came when the bath fixtures were put in and the sink was connected to the water line. We could now not only shower at home, but use the sink upstairs too. It was so exciting that I literally giggled throughout my first shower and would shout out things to Troy like, "I am washing my hair in our shower right now!" or "I am using the loofah in our shower right now!" Sure, we were still missing things like the toilet and the last few pieces of trim, but who cares?! We can use the shower! It was fantastic.

However, this had created a need to make a new routine. I found myself standing in my almost completed bathroom with my towel wrapped around me, wondering what to do next. At the health club, I had my after shower routine and I had packed clean clothes in my gym bag. What do I do at home? I faced the same challenges in the morning. Where do I go to brush my teeth? Upstairs? Downstairs? One morning, I realized that I had actually put deodorant one twice because I lost my rhythm. (Sadly, this is completely true.) I suppose that is better than the alternative and rocking B.O. all day, but seriously, who does that?

It has been almost a week now of showering at home and I think I am starting to get the hang of it again. You'll know if I go into a relapse if I start packing my gym bag just to catch a hot shower. If that happens, I may need an intervention. Preferably in my beautiful bathroom because even though it's still feels kind of weird to shower at home, and it's not completely done yet, I really do love it!

Before













(Almost) After


No comments:

Post a Comment