Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Gym Rat

I have been working out consistently since I was fifteen. There is probably a lot of things wrong with that statement, but whatever, running, stretching and lifting weights has always helped me relieve stress. Usually I am a cardio girl. I have to do at least 30 minutes on the elliptical, cross trainer or treadmill. Then I spend about ten minutes stretching and if I am feeling really ambitious, I do maybe two muscle groups of weight lifting. (I can hear you yawning, that's okay, I am moving on from the boring background knowledge.)

Lately though, Troy and I have switched up our workout and are focusing more on lifting weights and less on cardio, which at first was a weird transition for me. Troy has been our trainer and finding all these great exercises to dominate. **Side Note: Best thing about having your husband as your personal trainer: you can picture him naked and it is totally okay . . . maybe even encouraged.**

Yesterday we were focusing on our arms and back and I have to say, I felt super cool. Like A.C. Slater-just-pumpin'-iron-with-my-curly-mullet-before-the-big-game cool. First of all, I was sweaty, which I think makes you look hard core or like someone you would hate to sit next to on a crowded bus. Secondly, I realized that I was checking myself out in the mirror like a gym rat. Yeah, that's right. You know those guys who spend all their time by the free weights, and wear those big tee shirts that they rip at the sleeves so that the arm holes stretch down to their waist. That was me. Except I was wearing my Sufjan Stevens' Come on and Feel the Illinoise shirt, which I didn't rip because I love that shirt and it would be a crime.

I don't really have a point to this blog, I just thought it was really funny and completely ridiculous that I was checking out my [ripped] arms yesterday in between sets. By the way, if you want to fight me, I will destroy you, that is unless you throw me a right hook while I am admiring my forearms . . . then you might have a chance, since it seems as though I have turned into a gym rat, and that's what gym rats do - gawk in the mirror. Wow, all this typing has me really hankering for a protein shake . . . Muscle Milk?

No comments:

Post a Comment