Saturday, December 25, 2010

Birds, Births and Christmas

Here we are. Christmas Day. All of the presents have been opened, and now we are just waiting to devour that stuffed bird, baking in the oven. Its smell is wafting through the house, tempting us. I wish I could say I was one of those people who could "smile because it happened" instead of "cry bcause it's over" but I'm not. In my opinion, the best part of Christmas is the anticipation of the day. I love celebrating the weeks of advent at church, playing only Christmas music in my car since the day after Thanksgiving, buying and wrapping gifts, and making our cats Molly and Olivia wear the Mrs. Claus cap and skirt that my sister Laura bought for them. I am slowing embracing the fact that now it is only a matter of days (maybe weeks if I can milk it long enough) before all the decorations get put away and we have to endure the long weeks of winter, sans Christmas cheer. That being said, I have spent the morning trying to distract myself from feeling blue with the realization that Christmas has only a few precious hours left by thinking random thoughts.


1st Random Thought: I wonder how long our Christmas tree stood erect after we left for Chicago. I am betting the cats took it down within at least a day. Thankfully, I took off the breakable ornaments before we left, predicting the inevitable outcome of our little tree.


2nd Random Thought: Why is Dradle, Dradle, Dradle stuck in my head? I'm not even Jewish. Although every time I hear that song I think of Adam Sandler and his Hanukkah song. And since it is the Festival of Lights, and I love those, maybe I should get myself a menorah.



3rd Random Thought: I wonder if Dunkin Donuts has ornaments. I would definately put that on my tree. Laura and I will have to check that out later when we go get a cup of joe.


4th Random Thought: My parents have a scale in the upstairs bathroom that us girls shared growing up. I almost got on it this morning out of curiosity, and then my common sense stepped in and told me not to. Though the numbers that would have appeared would have probably ruined my day, I keep thinking about what they would be. And then I think, what does it matter, muscle weighs more than fat and I am totally ripped, so the number would be skewed anyway.


5th Random Thought: So, Christ was born today. Well, about two thousand years ago. Thus our reason for celebrating. Every year I think about how brutal that must have been. I mean, Mary all huge and prego, is being drug down to Bethelhem on a Donkey and then gave birth surrounded by stinky animals who use the same space to sleep and relieve themselves. Gross. No epidurals there either. Ouch. I am kinda grateful that I wasn't the one picked for that job. Between my threshold for pain and my need to be clean, I would be freaking out. Although my outbursts might have made the gospels for entertaining.
Well, that's all I have so far, but the day is still young.

I hope you have a very Merry Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment