Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Socks with Sandals

If you know me or have read any of my blogs, you will know that I think wearing socks with sandals is one of the biggest fashion faux pas. The very idea is a complete oxymoron. You wear sandals to keep your feet from being constrained - to air them out, if you will - and yet, you decide to suffocate them with cotton or some other synthetic material of your choice. Plain and simple, it is not a good look and in my opinion, give me a solid reason to throw things at you. However, I may have found a loop hole.

At school today, I walked into the teacher's lounge for my break. During this time, the first grade, art, music and title one teachers are all eating their lunch. (It is my favorite lunch period. All these people are super fun.) The room, which was filled with cheerful chatter suddenly became hushed and everyone looked at me with these goofy grins. Then at once, they all stood up from their seats, and proudly mounted their foot on the chair, all to show me - with great pride - their socks and sandals.

I should have been horrified. I mean, it was disgraceful. All those fabulous people, willingly going under the fashion knife and donning socks with sandals . . . with sheer delight. They even brought a pair for me to put on, which I had to graciously decline. But horror and disgust was not what I felt. In a strange way, it was the nicest thing those people have done for me. I knew they had to collaborate this prank and I knew that the only reason they did it was to make me laugh. To be honest, it made me feel really special!

So, I have decided to write a bit of a retraction. Perhaps I can make an exception about my socks with sandals rule. You can wear them, IF you get an entire room of people to wear them . . . . for the sole purpose of entertaining me.





The Socks 'n' Sandals Crew: (From left to right)
Andy, Hillary, Mandi, Me (with my disapproving countenance), Phil, Kathy, Paula, Raeann, Janet and Krista.


2 comments: